Pi 5 follow-up

Inkscape running on my raspberry pi 5.

So far mostly so good.

The not-so-good.

  • Blender—installs via the apt front-end, but fails to launch with OpenGL version issue
  • FireAlpaca—not available
  • nwjs doesn’t have an ARM64 option for Linux
  • Electron doesn’t seem to support Raspberry Pi but still looking
  • Tauri may work but I haven’t grokked it yet

Random Aside—Vector Editors

Those of you who for some reason follow my blog will know that I am a former heavy user of Adobe products and became disenchanted when they turned them into subscription products and started adding intrusive authentication (“phoning home”) and basically acting like cunts.

look at this trash, there should be exactly three bezier control points here.

Anyway, I recently was working on a replacement for the Babylonjs “enter-xr” icon, which is an svg hidden in a data url on a stylesheet, and I wanted to build it from the shape of the VisionPro (versus the Quest / Oculus) and incorporate the stylized xin from the xinjs logo. Much to my horror, I discovered that the xinjs logo was trash. I had carefully constructed a rounded rectangle from very clean and minimal vectors and then whatever tool I used (Vectornator? Sketch?) to do the transformation and boolean operations had royally screwed it up (see above).

xinjs-xr icon artwork in Sketch

This is the final result, shown in Sketch. Note that this was not produced by Sketch without a lot of manual cleanup but Sketch did manage not to screw up the curved ends so I was able to delete the spurious points manually. Sketch also will snap coordinates to integers making the output very compact and compression-friendly.

Anyway, this led me down a rabbit hole trying to construct the same simple objects (the symmetrical headset shape, which was also getting screwed up, and the stylized “x”) in:

  • Affinity Designer 2
  • Sketch
  • Vectornator (which has changed name and become garbage)
  • And just now I remembered I also have Graphic, so I tried that
Graphic only added two extra control points. Because this is the output of a boolean operation, one extra control point is acceptable, but I'm not really sure why it produced two.

And much to my disgust, not one produced clean output. I just tried Graphic, and it produced by far the cleanest result—see above. Note that while this is pretty clean, like Inkscape Graphic has inserted spurious control points in the curves, which makes it harder to fix manually.

Anyway, while I was messing with the Raspberry Pi, it occurred to me to give Inkscape a shot since (as I had said when griping about this to a colleague) open source coders are exactly the kind of anal retentive nerds who wouldn’t stand for this kind of shit, and yes indeed, while Inkscape’s UI is in most respects vastly worse than these fancy Mac apps (e.g. no automatic guides and snapping, important functions buried in menus), the output is top-notch.

the stylized x, which is two rounded rectangles rotated 45° and then booleaned together, has exactly one extra control point.

I don’t have a working version of Illustrator any more, but I strongly suspect Illustrator produces perfect output in this case. In the end, I hand edited the bezier curves in my logo, but it looks like I possibly could have saved time by using Inkscape to do the booleans (and then going back to Sketch to produce clean output).