As mandated by California law, we underwent training in our company’s policy on sexual and other forms of harassment (I am not making this up). It occurred to me that framers of jokes might find themselves short of suitable material for jokes if they wished to be compliant with this policy, so I undertook to compose a strictly sensitive and legal joke. It follows:
Three web developers (of unspecified sex) walk into a bar. (1)
They are a PHP coder, a Cold Fusion developer, and a perl hacker. (2)
The bartender asks what they want, and they order beers…
The PHP coder orders a “Miller” because foreign names which may require Unicode support are frightening. (3)
The Cold Fusion developer orders dark beer because he (or she) likes to pretend it’s Java. (4)
And the perl programmer drinks six Buds and has consensual sex with a goat. (5)
(1) Web developers are not a “protected minority” in this jurisdiction.
(2) Nor are any users of specific programming languages.
(3) Making fun of notably lacking features of a development tool is not illegal, at this time.
(4) People with inferiority complexes caused by using lame, high level tools are not a “protected minority” in this jurisdiction.
(5) Goats are not a “protected minority” in this jurisdiction.